Monday, May 5, 2008

And the future of packaging is...Drum Roll Please!

A friend of mine who works at Kimberly Clark sent me this link to make my own tissue box. Not that I always wanted a custom tissue box or even thought for one minute about designing my own tissue box, but this might be the future of packaging or at least be a cool way to differentiate yourself from the competition. Jones Soda has been doing the same thing for years, but at $29.99 plus S&H for a twelve pack, that would put me over $100 for both parents and my wife. Call me cheap!

Several years ago I had the opportunity to see an Indigo printer (now HP) at a trade show print custom potato chip bags with attendee pictures as part of the graphic. My thoughts at the time were "cool, but how would that work in the real world?" Well, clearly the answer is to offer it up at a premium via the web the way these two above consumer companies are. There are now even entire printing companies based on the digital model who have invested in this kind of printing: Lightning Label in Denver is one of them and the first "All-Digital" printing company. 

Well, getting back to my boxes, Kimberly Clark has obviously put some time into the interface because it seems pretty idiot proof. You get twenty or so background colors, the ability to add as many photos as you like and frame images as well as a message. My first thoughts were to put an influenza image on the box, but no, I ended up putting up a couple of photos of my kids instead. The cost is $4.99 each which is little more than a standard box of tissues costs. Hopefully will be sent in time for Mothers day. 

Can you think of a way to make your product that custom?